You Will Learn How To
- Operate the EKG machine.
- Use the EKG unit.
- Prepare the patient and perform EKG.
- Read EKG Reports
- Recognize reportable abnormalities
Who Should Attend
Students that are interested in pursuing a career as an EKG Technician. This course also prepares students for the NHA’s “Certified EKG Technician” Exam.
EKG is an instrument used in the detection and diagnosis of heart abnormalities. It measures electrical potentials on the body surface and generates a record of the electrical currents associated with heart muscle activity.
- Introduction to Electrocardiography
- The EKG as a diagnostic tool
- Overview of heart structure and function
- Role of the EKG Technician
- Ethical and legal considerations for EKG personnel
- Privacy considerations for medical offices (HIPAA)
- Electrocardiography Procedures
- Introduction to the EKG unit
- Loading Paper in EKG Machine
- Preparing the patient for EKG
- Performing the EKG on patient
- Cleaning and storing EKG Machine
- Recognizing Reportable Abnormalities
- Recording the cardiac cycle
- Normal value ranges for EKG records
- Common types of reportable abnormalities
- Overview of Related Tests and Procedures of telemetric EKG, Holter monitor, stress tests, ultrasound cardiograph, etc.
Exams Prepared for
“Certified EKG Technician” by National Healthcareer Association